Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Science Question for May

X wants to know what is the loudest noise that can be made using household devices. How would you measure the loudest noise you could make? The best answer will win a copy of Scientific American or Nuts and Volts. Explain your answer in the comment section.

There were 5 answers to the May science question, and congratulations to the winner, Edison Thomas, who gave a good answer, a practical measurement technique, and an environmentally conscious plan. Edison wins the September 2012 copy of Nuts and Volts magazine, featuring cool audio projects. The winner of the "Bonehead" prize is Rebel, who missed the point altogether. Thanks to all.

6 comments:

Edison Thomas said...

A thousand megaton bomb would be right up there. Fortunately, however, there's not one around here. Maybe the sound of a gas line exploding. I'd measure the sound level by going 5 miles away and seeing if I could hear it. No, wait...that would be wasteful. I guess the sound of my neighbor's firecracker barrage on the 4th of July. I'd measure that the same way.

Rebel said...

The loudest thing in my house is the refrigerator opening when it's not supposed to be opened. Somehow, that's the loudest thing.

Chewy3 said...

The loudest sounds are the ones closest to my ears. I can't stand someone clapping my ears. I don't know how to measure unless it's based on pain.

Anonymous said...

Screams.

Home Run King said...

All these comments passed the moderator's test. If you leave a comment, it won't appear until the moderator has a look at it. He allows humor, but he doesn't allow zingers.

Newt Isaacson said...

Sound is just ripples of air pressure, you know. The big ripples are created by phenomena generating pressure waves. Yes, how the ripples attack the ear drums matters.